Thursday, June 8, 2017

Actors, again

(or, "A shallowfest")
So apparently I am on a shallowness kick and therefore I wanted to know about what other people (women) think about various actors; namely, who their favorites are and all that. I thought of a good place where I might be able to find such information (after considering asking random women at the grocery store, I came upon a simpler method) for my reading pleasure - Reddit. r/askwomen specifically. 

What follows will be my commentary (based on looking at the first results in google images for the ones whose appearances I'm not familiar with) about the actors that I see mentioned in the things that came up. Fun, eh? ** For the best experience reading this post, I recommend that you have a google images tab at the ready so you too can look up the names of the actors whose appearances you're not familiar with. **


  • Tom Hardy: Meh. Very facially hairy it seems - not my type. Kind of looks similar to David Beckham, I think. Maybe a bit like Channing Tatum as well.
  • Michael Fassbender: Better than Tom Hardy. Decent. Probably on a George Clooney level for me in terms of looks minus my aversion to George Clooney for reasons I've mentioned before. He looks a little like the actor who plays Owen Hunt on Grey's Anatomy (I want to know what happens!! I can't wait until fall.. !!) 
  • Sebastian Stan: I'm kind of familiar with him in that I know what he looks like. I think he looks kind of like Misha Collins. Also decent looking, I'd say, but not on the level of my personal favorite actors. Maybe if I watched some things with these various actors in them I might begin to like their appearances more. Who knows! 
  • Jamie Dornan: He's the guy from 50 Shades of Grey. I sort of know what he looks like. I guess he didn't particularly stun me or I'd have a stronger (positive) opinion on him. Also decent, I guess. 
  • Chris Evans: Looks kind of like Tom Hardy. So what I said about him applies here too.
  • Henry Cavill: Looks like Matt Bomer and/or Ian Somerhalder. Dark hair and light eyes is a nice combination, usually. I'd say he's on the higher end of decent.
  • Someone mentioned Colin Farrell, who I coincidentally covered in a previous post. Meh.
  • Alexander Skarsgaard: he's Swedish, so that's fun. Not super familiar with his appearance though. On a search, he ever so somewhat slightly reminds me of Jesse Spencer, an Australian actor who had a role in House MD.
  • Andy Whitfield: some how I've heard of him. Looked him up. Meh. His face is too square, or something, for me. (Apparently he's dead and has been for 6 years, fyi)
  • Aidan Turner: He's Irish. He kind of reminds me of a mix between Russell Brand and Ezra Miller, but the result is somewhat more visually appealing than I find either of those actors. Decent. He has similar coloring to Cillian Murphy or Colin Morgan, I think.
  • Tom Hiddleston: I kind of forgot about him, but I think he's good looking.
  • Ewan McGregor: Hmm.. not bad, but not stunning either. Decent, I guess. He somewhat looks like a lighter haired version of Tom Cruise, a little bit.
  • Oscar Isaac: He looks very Mediterranean/Hispanic. Decent, I guess, but not really my type. Not delicate enough for me, I guess.
  • The guy from that show I was watching (who played the detective with a southern accent): He played an interesting character, but I'm not exactly sure I'd say he was highly attractive looking. Maybe if he shaved off the facial hair. 
  • Ezra Miller: like I've mentioned in the past, I think his eyes are too far up on his head/his cheeks are too long. Though someone commented "He's just so pretty" which is what I'm currently thinking not about Ezra Miller, but about Peter Sarsgaard. 
  • Chris Hemsworth: points for being Australian, I'd say, but not really my type. He's not ugly, though.
  • (surprised I haven't seen George Clooney yet! My mother thinks George Clooney is good looking) 
  • James (not D'Arcy) McAvoy: he kind of looks like a weirder version of Peter Sarsgaard, if anyone else sees that... He's decent looking. Nothing to write home blog posts about though. (well, I might write a blog post about him but only in relation to how I think he looks like a weirder version of Peter Sarsgaard)
  • Kit Harington: Lotta hair on that guy. Not my type (although it's not necessarily because of the hair).
  • I've also not yet seen Leo mentioned, which surprises me a little bit. 
  • Jared Leto: I've written about him before. He looked decent in Requiem for a Dream but I don't think I'm really a fan of him outside of that.
  • Mads Mikkelsen: Kind of surprised to see him mentioned, for some reason. He's quite interesting looking and has a cool European/Danish accent. 
  • Ryan Reynolds: looks kind of like Adam Levine, a little. I think his eyes are a little too close together though and his face is kind of long.
  • Ryan Gosling: see above, although he looks less like Adam Levine, probably because he has lighter hair.
  • Bradley Cooper: I kind of forgot what he looked like but he's actually kind of interesting looking. Nice blue irises. Sort of Patrick Dempsey-esque. He's good-looking but I don't have a particular affinity for him.
  • Also wondering if I'll see anyone mention Patrick Dempsey. My mother likes his appearance too. He is from Maine.
  • Adrien Brody: ... he's kind of freaky looking.
  • Ronan Farrow (he's actually a journalist - he's really young: 29!): not bad, decent but a little generic looking for my tastes, I think.
  • Brad Pitt: interesting to see him show up. I think he's a perfectly decent actor, but I don't have a particular affinity for his appearance. According to something I read in a celebrity gossip magazine last night at the grocery store, he's an alcoholic which is what contributed to the demise of his marriage.
  • Josh Duhamel: Like a mix of... Matt Damon and Tom Cruise, I think. Something thereabouts. 
  • Finally someone mentioned Leo(nardo DiCaprio)! I think he's good looking (in some cases, at least) and he's a good actor as well. 
  • David Tennant: Doctor Who! I can understand that. He has an interesting Scottish accent (although he didn't use it when he played the Doctor).
  • Charlie Hunnam: he looks like he would be a hockey player. Speaking of which, I looked up Alex Ovechkin who is an actual hockey player and the only one I know by name. He plays for the local hockey team and he's Russian.
  • Ian Somerhalder: I've never watched the show that he was (is still?) on but from what I've seen of him he's decently good looking. Kind of like Patrick Dempsey, but younger.
  • Jesse Spencer: "as Dr. Chase in House. That accent. I think that's one of the main reasons I watched that show, and why I stopped after he was no longer a regular."
  • Norman Reedus: I know that he's on a zombie show but I don't think he's good looking. He's weird looking. 
  • Robert Sean Leonard: he's nice looking and his character was a pleasure to see on House MD. "He's insanely hot in Dead Poets Society and the boyish charm thing in House just gets me bonkers."
  • Grant Gustin: ... aka, The Flesh Flash (ugh). Not bad looking, but very generic looking. Very much so.
  • Chris Meloni: (Elliot from SVU - do I need to say more?) 
  • Jason Bateman: I can only see him as Michael from Arrested Development. He's a good kind of average looking.
  • Hugh Dancy: Decent. And if I put myself to it I could probably watch the entirety of NBC's Hannibal, which he was in along with Mads Mikkelsen as Hannibal.
  • Jake Gyllenhaal: Meh. Not really my type.
  • Jason Momoa: Eek. Definitely not my type.
  • WOw!! Someone mentioned James D'Arcy! That surprised me because I don't think he's particularly well known. But he is very good looking. 
  • Colin Morgan: he reminds me of Ben Whishaw in terms of physique.
  • Andrew Garfield: is to Ben Whishaw as Mark Ruffalo is to Vincent D'Onofrio, in terms of looking similar-ish and my preference between them.
  • Matt Damon: for some reason I see his as being similar to Tom Hanks. Probably something about how they have very 'American' looks/essences to them, if that makes sense.
  • Jason Statham: If Matt Damon didn't play Jason Bourne, this guy looks like he'd fit that role well. I found this weird article while searching him...
  • Hugo Weaving: he's... interesting looking. And looks like a mix of some people I can't quite figure out.
  • James Franco: looks like a mix of Joseph Gordon Levitt and someone with fluffy hair. Pick your someone.
  • Joe Manganiello: too muscly and stuff for me. Definitely not my type.
  • Michael Cera: .... 
Still no mention of Patrick Dempsey, which surprised me a bit. A number of mentions of Alexander Skarsgaard but none of Peter Sarsgaard (no relation) which doesn't surprise me really because he's not that well known.  

Now, on to actors from a post that asks which ones women just don't get everyone's obsession with. I assume there might be some overlap with the ones I've already commented on.
  • Ryan Gosling: Fair enough.
  • Ryan Gosling again, plus Ryan Reynolds (see previous comment)
  • Channing Tatum: Fair enough. He's "too muscly" and according to one person, "looks like a girly version of my brother," which is... interesting/amusing.
  • Matthew McConaughey: there's someone new. He looks kind of like.. a pointier version of Patrick Dempsey.. not really my type, but not horrible looking. Meh.
  • Christian Bale: Looks kind of like the previous guy. Eh.
  • George Clooney: Interesting. I think he's good looking so I do get why people would also think that. I don't need to mention what I also think about him as a person.
  • Brad Pitt: He is actually a decent actor, I'd say, even if I'm not fawning over his face/voice/other aspects.
  • Jude Law: he definitely looks odd in some pictures.
  • Joseph Gordon-Levitt: eyes are too close together and he looks like he's smirking in a lot of pictures which may or may not be intentional but regardless isn't a particularly good look. 
That's the end of that thread! Onto a new one. I think there was one about unconventional looking actors so I'll try to see what people have to say there.


  • Hugh Grant: he is kinda old and looks like a mix of Seth Meyers, Bill Clinton and Ben Stiller.
  • Liev Schrieber: he looks like Jude Law, a little bit??
  • Vladimir Putin: !!!! (comment was from a year ago, though, so the context was maybe a little bit different)
  • Cillian Murphy: definitely unconventional looking, but in a good way.
  • Julian Assange: well, that's different...
  • Jerry Orbach: Law and Order *dun dun* 
  • Vincent (first name basis!): (also Law and Order [CI], for that matter)"Vincent D'Onofrio was a big one for me for many years until he creeped me out in an interview he did. I think it's that he's tall and kinda evil looking, I guess?" I definitely don't see Vincent as being evil looking. He's a dear. 
  • Colin Firth: I don't think he's that unconventional looking?? He's nice looking either way.
  • David Bowie: ... definitely weird looking and the only time he looks decent (even good looking, actually) is in some movie he was in, The Man Who Fell to Earth. I have no idea why he looks good there but everything else he looks weird in.
  • Mark Ruffalo: not too unconventional, but I guess maybe it's because he's not as well known as some actors.
  • Anderson Cooper: Anderson! I've liked him for years (although he's a journalist and not an actor). If I end up becoming a journalist myself, it's because of him, definitely. 
  • Mads Mikkelsen: "Stupid sexy cannibal. I've sat through dozens of Danish, German, and Icelandic films to see his weird yet oddly attractive face." 
  • Johnny Depp: "I just don't find him attractive until he's a drunken pirate." 
  • Robert Downey Jr.: I don't really like the way he looks. He looks kind of like a rodent of some sort. 
  • Tom Cruise (in Interview with the Vampire): !!!! Remember I did a post about this??? 

And with that, I feel like I've pretty much covered it all... whoa. What a ride. What fun! This post is so, so long. I can entertain myself pretty well, which is basically what this post is a form of. And I was kinda trying to distract myself from a certain topic. 

Also, here is a smattering of other interesting posts that I came across while perusing r/askwomen: 
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/4wxeei/how_often_do_you_see_people_who_are_reasonably/ 

One that asked "Do you think a world where every man fit your ideal of 'attractive' would be a better place?" a) I would become a polygamist. A very poly polygamist. b) they could still be awful as people, but at least they'd be easy on the eyes. I'd probably not get anything done, ever. I'd just want to look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment